Polar Bear

Polar Bear
My Boy

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Low fat takes on my TG Day favorites

So the old me would have made these with EVERYTHING...but through trial and error I have realized there isn't much taken away at all in regards to taste if I low-cal these up a bit...

Sure they are a bit of a splurge, but the substitutions are pretty numerous and the calories relatively lower than the originals, so here ya go!

Spicy Creme Corn
-Two cans or frozen corn
-Fat Free cream cheese-about 1/2 to 3/4 pack is fine
-Half stick of margarine or equal amount of spread
-Jalapenos (diced), I like them pickled from a jar, but if you use fresh I recommend turning them over in the pan with the margarine first so you don't burn your mouth (and subsequently your asshole) off
-Garlic salt (pinch), or fresh garlic (clove) sauteed in the pan with the jalapenos
-1/4 sweeter onion (in pan with garlic and jalapenos first)
-options-mild chilis or other kinds of peppers or rotel


What I love about this dish is it's flexibility in preparation-can be done days before, the day of, and eaten much after and tastes great each time!


Yukon potato puree
-8 yukon golds
-1.5 cup skim milk
-1/2 half and half or other lower fat cream
-1/4 fat free sour cream
-1/4 cup margarine or low fat spread
-1 tsp salt
-optional-1/8 cup parmigian cheese 
This recipe is a little more in depth, but well worth it, though it is higher cals than the corn recipe, and I usually only make one of these per holiday meal.
So peel and quarter and rinse potatoes, then boil them with salt gently for 10-12 minutes or until ready...
Heat milk and cream until hot but NOT boiling-microwave works well
Drain potatoes and heat in pan to dry them over low heat for ~1 min
Mash/rice potatoes in pan
Mix in butter and optional cheese and sour cream
Add hot milk and cream mixture until puree as soft as you would like
Salt and pepper to taste


Enjoy!
pepper

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hi! I am so glad you are back too!!!! I had the same experience with my pants. Some of them still fit (ish) so i thought I was fine. Until one day I woke up and was beyond just a few lbs up. Grrr.

Lets do this! I am so glad you are back!!

Ps-we adopted another dog a few weeks ago :) Hope you are doing well??

JEnnifer

Dawn said...

I did laugh outloud ....and decided that raw jalapenos might just not be for me....just in case.
The recipes do sound great!

The Ninja said...

-love- raw jalepenos, I'm gonna make this, like a lot. Thanks for the recipe

Michele said...

LOVE it that you are back! Missed your spice....