Polar Bear

Polar Bear
My Boy

Saturday, February 5, 2011

How normal are you?

Everyone talks about hoping to be 'normal' with food, what they eat, how they hope their thoughts about food would be...What they imagine a 'normal' relationship with food to be like...

This got me thinking-what exactly IS normal? So I asked my BF, Ann, if she would purge her soul and answer a BUNCH of my nosy questions. A bit about Ann without prying too much into her privacy...

She is one of two children, her parents are still married, she is a science nerd like me, she is single, she is an optimistic person, strong in her values, pretty, very mature for her age, very motivated/driven, and generous. Before this sounds too much like a personal add, I will paste below her answers, and allow you to draw your own conclusions as to 'normal'...

1. Age: 24

2. Weight: 120-125 fluctuates

3. Height: 5’7.5” yes I added the .5 haha

4. years at current weight: 7 years?

5. ever been overweight: no

6. typical wake up time: 7:30-8

7. typical breakfast and time: been bad and skipping it. If I do eat something its usually a bar.

8. typical lunch and time: leftovers from dinner, due to being overworked either have to skip or eat late ~1-2pm

9. typical dinner and time: around 7, later than I like but have to cook once I get home

10. what liquids-approximate amount daily: Coffee in morning and then water and tea throughout day

11. typical work schedule: 5-7 days a week, and the hours vary a lot.

12. all typical activity (walking at work, around lake etc)-how often, duration, times per week: Walk a lot during work… back and forth between the ends of the lab, walk to north campus, try to walk around the apartments several times a week. Also try to take a 2-3hr walk once a week around the lake if I have the time

13. what do you do when you feel like you have gained a few pounds: Don’t eat as much late at night

14. how often a day do you think about food: Not much at work, more so when I am home

15. how often do you snack: Depends on the day, more on the weekend

16. snack type: fruit, crackers, chocolate, yogurt, cheese

17. ideal vacation: hiking/camping at national parks

18. favorite sport/activity: walking outside

19. cravings-when do you get them, how often per week, what do you crave: When I am stressed out. Also when I haven’t eat all day at work I can over eat when I get home. I will crave cheese and sweets.

20. when do you plan your meals-right before cooking them, the night before, once a week? Several times a week. Browse the supermarket and plan a couple meals while shopping and then make larger batches so that I have leftovers throughout the week.

21. Are you pleased with your body-if not what don’t you like: Core is not toned, and don’t like the skin on my face, and the flab under my chin that I have always had no matter what I weighed. Body views fluctuate: sometimes I can’t stand it and other times I accept it. I think this comes from the fact that I used to be very skinny, at a very unhealthy weight when I was going through a fast growth spurt.

22. Favorite clothes item to wear: Cute patterned skirts

23. Typical attire: Varies depending on my mood. Right now mainly jeans and sweaters.

24. When you see a morbidly obese person, does it make you uncomfortable, feel pity, feel disgust etc? If they are eating unhealthy (like fast food) it makes me question why they continue to eat that way. When I see them while I am out walking I feel like they are trying to better themselves and that is good. Otherwise, I don’t really know their life situations so I try not to judge. It is especially difficult for women to lose weight and with hectic lifestyles it can become overwhelming and it just ends up being a destructive cycle.

25. How important is weight to you when considering boyfriends? Friends? Not important with friends. For a boyfriend, I would like for us to be able to go outside and be active together. Also, to be open to eating healthy.

26. Do you think fat people are lazy people? No

27. Have you changed your diet as you have gotten older? Yes

28. Do you have any health conditions? Nothing major

29. Do you worry about getting fat? Sometimes, especially since work is forcing me to have irregular eating schedules.

30. Do you worry about dying young? No

31. Do you go through periods where you eat the same foods until you are sick of them and move on? No

32. Have you ever hidden your snacking from others, or felt ashamed of your cravings? If applicable. No

33. Is anyone in your family overweight or have any ever been overweight? Yes

34. Growing up did you make your own food choices, if not did you like what your parents gave you? Has your diet changed since moving out of the family home? At first I didn’t like what my parents fed me but I ended up liking it eventually. Growing up with a garden in the backyard is probably why I actually enjoy eating vegetables. It has changed but not too drastically as I still try to incorporate veggies and fruit into my diet.

35. Do you smoke? Drink? How often? How much? Don’t smoke. Drink about once a week, a beer or two.

36. What meats do you eat? What veggies? What fats? What desserts/treats? DO you take vitamins? Meats: all kinds. Veggies: all kinds. Fats: cheeses. Desserts/treats: chocolates. I sometimes try to take vitamins, but then I end up forgetting most of the time

37. Are you as healthy as you want to be? No

38. What people/stresses hold you back from what you want? WORK!!

39. What is your best mental and physical quality? Even though work can be very stressful, I still try to find humor in things and laugh as a way to relieve stress.

40. What quality is most important to you in those you care about? Genuine, kind, and trustworthy.



8 comments:

Twix said...

My husband weighs this. I laugh some when I hear it referred thin = healthy. But you're not talking about healthy. You are talking about normal. And when I got done reading this that was my reaction. My first reaction was when you said what is normal. I've often asked that myself. Is there a normal?
I really liked question number 34 and her answer.
Interesting questions and answers altogether. :)

Dinnerland said...

Very interesting, thx for posting.

Auntie Mandy said...

She seems so normal, it's almost strange!

Farrah said...

She sounds pretty normal to me too :)

I'd like to think I'm normal too....except with my relationship with food and exercise.

Anonymous said...

Great post! How cool to interview a normal person.

Tim said...

I love this post :)

It's interesting to see what choices other people make especially when comparing to myself.

Sarah said...

Thanks for posting this. It is really interesting to see how different people view different things! This makes me want to question people around me!

Sarah
notaneffingdiet.blogspot.com

Michele said...

Interesting post. Love the part about when she feels like she has gained a few pounds that she just curtails eating more at night. Something for all of us to learn from her.