Polar Bear

Polar Bear
My Boy

Monday, October 25, 2010

In Lieu of Candy

So Lanie's post tonight about whether to candy or not to candy for Halloween-I decided that was the question...since I'm such a freaking poet.

Just call me Willa Shakespeare

For us-hubs and I, we are not, NOT, buying any candy.  I am too much of a Reesus whore to even allow a bag in the house.  The Dove survive okay because they have no PEANUT BUTTER.

This kid is a genius!
 Anywho, the other day at work I was talking to a co-worker and we talked about the old days when some people would give out candied apples.  I realize this was not a great nutritional choice, but better than a bag of candy I think.  Of course this was before psychos stuck razors in candy or poisoned apples-wait, I think that was my evil mother in law-ooops I mean the evil step mother queen from Snow White.  Just kidding, honey, I love your Mom.

I love my MIL, I love my MIL...
But what gets me is the beginning of the TV show "Too Fat for 15", when they state that 'this is the first generation of kids that will not live as long as their parents'.  

Knowing that childhood obesity is running rampant in this country, and that obesity is the root of almost all the biggest killers in terms of diseases in the US, I have to wonder if candy is the right choice.
Childhood Obesity:  I know this is blurry, but its important...
Sure Hershey and Nestle might take a hit, but maybe the kids deserve something better.  Sure, if I was a kid, I would be pissed, because I loved trick-or-treating for candy, but maybe we should help them learn from our mistakes?
Seriously?!?  Did his wife approve that diaper??


So my question to you is, what BESIDES candy can make a good trick-or-treating alternative to the sugary crap?
Cologne!!!  I shit you not!!!
Give me your awesome ideas people!

7 comments:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

Target or Walmart usually sells little tubs of playdough that are pretty cheap. If you wanted to spend a bit of money, you could go to the dollar store and buy some stuff, coloring books or whatnot. $30 at the dollar store would be better than $30 worth of candy!

Or you could hand out business cards with your blog name on it. :-)

uh, i would wear that cologne.

indubitably danielle said...

Fruit Roll-ups. Not exactly the picture of health, but probably healthier than candy.

Beth said...

Here in the UK where trick or treating is nothing like it is in the US, it is not uncommon to give out little pots of playdough, boxes of raisins, pencils, novelty erasers, little halloween themed toys (like a little rubber ball in the shape of an eyeball!), little rulers, etc. My son loves these items because he can keep them whereas the candy gets stashed away by mom to be doled out a piece at a time ;-(

Life as a Caterpillar said...

Oh my lord, i am a reeces hoe too, and i have only JUST discovered the stuff! Arrgh, let's move on. I have made up about 50 little treat bags which i am going to give to Hallowe'en callers. They each contain a pencil, a satsuma, one boiled sweet and a girl/boy related toy (ie a bracelet or small ball). I thought that was quite clever of me. I can only hope my neighbours take the hint when they see what i'm giving out. Sweets=bad. Treats= good! :)

Susan said...

Thanks for getting me thinking about this issue as well! - you've inspired me to do something different... and I think we'll give out granola bars this year (the chewy kind with chocolate chips probably, but still a bit healthier than a candy bar... :-)

Karen said...

My orthodontist was my neighbor and he used to give out toothbrushes! How about pretzels? Or little spider rings.

Bethanny said...

I miss you!!
Give out pretzels, pencils, juice boxes, crayons, raisins, or rings or something. Popcorn maybe, like the mini bags?